We’ve partnered up with Women’s Running 10K Series 2015. Over the next couple of months we’ve got some great recipes in store, starting off with this fabulous post run meal option – and a very tasty one at that! – created by our Wheyhey Chef Pamela Bustard.
– 3 tbsp chia seeds (I used Kaizen Living)
– 100ml coconut water
– 100ml coconut milk
– 1 tbsp unsweetened dessicated coconut
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– Large handful of fresh raspberries
– 1 banana, frozen in chunks
– 1 small tub of Wheyhey Strawberry Protein ice cream
– 1 tbsp acai berry powder (I used Kaizen Living)
– A few raw cacao nibs, to scatter over (I used Kaizen Living)
1) Put the chia seeds in a kilner jar or large bowl and pour in the coconut water, coconut milk, vanilla then stir in the dessicated coconut. Leave for 5 minutes, stir well again, then leave in the fridge for at least an hour (good to do before you head out on a run!) or overnight so there is less preparation in the morning.
2) When you’re ready, remove your Wheyhey ice cream tub from the freezer about 10 minutes before. Scatter over the fresh raspberries on top – the coconut and chia seed mixture will now be pretty solid and firm so they should sit on top nicely.
3) Place the frozen banana chunks, your slightly melted Wheyhey ice cream and acai berry powder in a blender and whizz up until you have a smooth, thick ‘ice cream’.
4) Spoon this on top of the raspberries, scatter over some cacao nibs and there you go, a super quick, easy and healthy refuel after burning those calories!
Wheyhey Nutritionist Rhiannon Lambert shares with us, why this makes a perfect post-workout meal.
Chia seeds and wheyhey ice cream are excellent sources of protein, this will help repair and rebuild your cells and muscles after strenuous exercise. In fact, chia seeds contain all 8 essential amino acids, they are high in fibre, antioxidants and even omega-3 (which you can only get from your diet). Coupled with 20g of whey protein this will keep you satisfied until your next meal of the day.
Coconut is a truly wonderful way to rehydrate after working out, it is known as natures natural sports drink owed to its abundance of electrolytes, which need replenishing after we sweat! Adding fruits such as bananas is a good idea to give you an instant boost of energy, bananas release glucose rapidly into your bloodstream and can be utilised quickly for energy as it is already the perfect form of simple sugar our bodies like to use. Adding berries and super foods is another guaranteed way to mop up free radicals caused during the stress of a long run and provide our bodies with those much needed antioxidants, acai and cacao are fab sources of Vitamin A, Magnesium, Calcium and Iron amongst others, all of which support oxygen transport and muscle repair.
If that’s not enough, please click HERE to find the 17 benefits of chia seed recipes!!