Key Lime Pie is one of those desserts that you might have heard of but, for our UK audience especially, mightn't have had the pleasure of tasting. Just like Boston cream pie and pumpkin pie, key lime pie is an American favourite that has only slowly been adopted this side of the Atlantic. We don't know why though, key lime pie is absolutely delicious and we want to see more of it!
Traditionally, key lime pie is made with a creamy meringue topping consisting of egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice, on a shortcrust pie base. The citric taste of the lime brings a refreshing twist to a very light dish. Key lime pie done the Wheyhey way is a little different. It's another one of our delicious gluten-free recipes that are to be paired with our Wheyhey gluten-free ice cream.
All Hail Avocado - King Ingredient of Gluten Free Recipes
We must admit, we have become obsessed with creating alternative-recipes. Taking out the highly processed, sugar laden ingredients and subbing in some all natural goodness. One ingredient that we love to use in this way are avocados. They may be the superfood that defines a generation. Avocados are full of vitamins, minerals, fibre and healthy fats. A well-ripened avocado brings a creamy smooth texture to gluten free recipes. We've used avocados before in creating a gluten free mousse and it's more of the same here.
Avocados combined with lime juice, coconut oil and coconut milk, bring a smooth texture that mimicks the fluffy meringue in an all natural way. The pie crust is created with all wholesome ingredients too - desiccated coconut, cashews, almonds, sea salt and vanilla extract. Top it all off with a generous helping of Salted Caramel Sugar Free Ice Cream. Avocados, cashews, coconuts, almonds. Together they mean one thing - you've got another show stopper to add to your list of gluten free recipes!
Try out the recipe for your yourself below. Please note, although preparation is a doddle, remember to give yourself plenty of time for the pie to set. Enjoy!
Prep Time: <15 Mins
Freezing Time: 1-2 Hours
What Do I Need?
8 Inch Pie Pan With Removable Base
A Mini Tub of Salted Caramel Per Person
For the Base:
1 Cup of Almonds (unsalted, unroasted)
1/3 Cup of Cashews (unsalted, unroasted)
3/4 Cup Desiccated Coconut (unsweetened)
Tsp of Himalayan Sea Salt
Tsp of Vanilla Extract
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
For the Filling:
2/3 Avocados (2 Big, 3 Medium)
2 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Coconut Milk (Regular or Low Fat)
Juice From 2 Limes
Zest of 1 Lime
2 Tsps of Liquid Sweetener
What Do I Do?
- Start with the base.
- Add all the base ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend on high for about two minutes. Make sure to stop the blender intermittently and scrape the sides down as you go. This will ensure that all ingredients get added to your base.
- Blend until you are left with a smooth and sticky base.
- Get a 8 inch, non-stick tart pan with removable bottom.
- Smooth the batter onto the tart pan.
- The base and sides need to be thick and solid enough to hold your pie together. For us this was about 3-5mm thick.
- You're done with the base. Leave it in the freezer while you prepare your filling.
- On to the filling.
- Leave the lemon zest to side and add the rest of your mix to a food processor.
- Blend until you are left with a creamy smooth green batter.
- Carefully stir in your lime zest.
- Time to put it all together.
- Take your base out of the freezer.
- Pour the avocado key lime filling on the pie base.
- Spread until smooth and then leave in the freezer for two hours.
- Having left the pie in the freezer you are now almost ready to serve.
- Take your pie out of the freezer and push off the removable bottom base.
- Cut into slices and serve with a mini tub of Wheyhey Salted Caramel Gluten Free Ice Cream.