We don’t know about you but when we hear a mention of “Layer Cake” we are thinking Daniel Craig, Sienna Miller, guns, gangsters and crime. We might need to stop watching so many movies. The more commonly recognized interpretation is a lot less James Bond and a lot more delicious.
A layer cake is exactly as it sounds. Typically it’s a cake with 3-5 layers of contrasting cakes on top of one another. Our layer cakes are three layers high. There are two layers of healthy chocolate brownies with a smooth layer of Wheyhey sugar free protein ice cream sandwiched in between. As delicious as it sounds and with a healthy twist.
Oh How We Love High Protein Snacks
A chocolate cake with two layers of chocolate brownies and a layer of ice cream. From the outside looking in, this might sound like the ultimate healthy diet destroyer. Not so, at Wheyhey we love nothing more than creating healthy recipes than will keep you on track.
With this delicious creation we use lots of natural ingredients. Almond flour, vanilla extract, eggs, cacao powder, coconut oil. Not only that but with a couple of scoops of whey protein powder and our sugar free protein ice cream, our layer cakes are also packed with protein.
Healthy desserts that help you recover from training. Doesn’t get much better than that.
Serves: 1 Batch of Layer Cakes
Prep Time: < 40 mins.
What Do I Need?
For the chocolate brownie layer
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 6 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 2 Scoops Of Whey Protein (We Used Chocolate Hazelnut)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150g Unsweetened Apple Puree
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 4 Squares Dark Chocolate
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
For the ice cream layer
- Wheyhey Sugar Free Protein Ice Cream (Flavour Of Your Choice) 1-2 Tubs
What Do I Do?
How To Make Brownies
The first part is creating our healthy chocolate brownies.
- Preheat oven to 180C then grease and line a loaf tin.
- To make the chocolate brownies, there are three parts that come together. The dry mix, the wet mix and the melted chocolate.
- For the dry mix - pour the almond flour, cacao powder and protein powder into a bowl and stir.
- For the wet mix - whisk the egg, vanilla extract and apple puree in a separate bowl.
- For the melted chocolate - add the 4 squares of dark chocolate to a bowl with the coconut oil. Melt using a microwave or over a boiling pot of water. Do not allow the mixture to burn.
- Pour the dry mix, wet mix and melted chocolate together into one bowl.
- Add in the peanut butter and mix in.
- Pour the entire ingredients into the loaf tin.
- Bake the brownie for around 18-20 minutes so that it’s still gooey, then leave to cool.
The brownie are done. Now It’s time to put the layers together.
- Once the chocolate brownie cake is cool, cut into circles and set aside.
- Remove your Wheyhey tubs from the freezer.
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the tub to form circles of ice cream. Peel the Wheyhey wrapper from the ice cream circles.
- Finally sandwich the rounded protein ice cream cut outs between the two brownie pieces.
- You’re done, enjoy!