To celebrate the release of our latest flavour of sugar free ice cream, Salted Caramel, we have something really special. A delicious Salted Caramel and Banana Pie. We love sharing easy recipes for high protein snacks and other simple snack ideas. When it comes to maintaining a healthy diet, our best advice is that simplicity trumps all. However, sometimes it is good to have something a little special in your locker. This Salted Caramel and Banana Pie is that little something. A showstopper sure to impress your guests and cause widespread, uncontrollable lip-licking.
A Healthy Alternative to an Old Favourite
This salted caramel and banana pie is not your usual dessert. Traditional caramel pies are full of sugar and cream but this is a little different. With this recipe we forgot the usual layer of whipped cream and replace it with our with sugar free protein ice cream. Then we packed the pie with tonnes of wholesome ingredients. But don’t worry, with dates, vanilla extract and sugar free maple syrup, it’s not lacking in the sweetness department. A healthy alternative to an old favourite, this caramel pie is bound to make you very popular.
Serves: 1 Pie
Prep Time: >30 Mins
What Do I Need?
For the Pie Crust
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of sea salt
For the Filling
- 1 litre of Wheyhey Salted Caramel Protein Ice Cream
For the Caramel Layer
- 2 cups medjool dates, pitted, chopped and soaked for 15 minutes
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 bananas, sliced into discs
For the Topping
- 1 large pot of Greek yoghurt
What Do I Do?
Okay let’s break it down and start with the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Place the four ingredients of the pie crust into a processor. Biltz and then pulse until it forms a sticky dough ball.
- Press the dough into a pie dish.
- Bake in the oven until golden (approximately 8/10 minutes once preheated).
- Take the pie crust out of oven and leave to cool.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow it to soften.
Next it’s the caramel filling.
- Make your caramel filling by blitzing five of your 6 ingredients (leaving out the bananas) in a food processor until smooth.
Bringing the base and filling together
- Get your pie crust.
- Spoon on the layer of Wheyhey Salted Caramel protein ice cream.
- Cover the surface with the sliced banana pieces.
- Top off with a layer of your caramel filling.
Serve individual slices on a small plate with a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Standby for heavy praise. Enjoy!