Chocolate Mousse with a Gluten Free Twist
A beautifully velvet chocolate mousse, topped with creamy chocolate ice cream and brownie pieces. It doesn't exactly scream healthy desserts does it? Maybe not usually but mousse done the Wheyhey way is something a little different.
This alternative chocolate mousse, made with bananas, avocado and dates is one of our favourite gluten free recipes. It's just like the real thing but with a nutritious kick. Full of chocolatey goodness and rich flavours, healthy desserts don't get much better than this. Scratch that. Desserts in general don't get much better than this.
At Wheyhey, our sugar free ice cream and chocolate brownies are all gluten free. So, we wanted to create some gluten free recipes to go along with it. But what makes this one so special?
Gluten Free Desserts That Leave You Feeling Great
Traditional chocolate mousse is made with lots of sugar, whipped cream and sugar laden chocolate. This high sugar content can give you a quick release of energy before bringing you crashing down to earth.
As is the case with many of our gluten free recipes, our take on chocolate mousse is made with all natural ingredients. The dates, avocado, banana and coconut oil gives it a good helping of healthy fats. These healthy fats help to supply a slow release of energy. Leaving you satisfied for hours and ready to take on the world.
But the best part about this healthy take on an old classic - it taste phemonable. Don't just take our word for it. Try it out for yourself below:
Prep Time: < 10 Mins
What Do I Need?
For the Mousse:
1 Large Avocado
1 Large Banana
40g of Cacao Powder
Handful of Pitted Medjool Dates (5-8)
75ml of Almond Milk
1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil
A Pinch of Salt
To Go On Top:
1 Tub of Wheyhey Sugar Free Chocolate Ice Cream
1 Wheyhey Chocolate Coconut Brownie (chopped into pieces)
Handful of Blueberries (Optional)
What Do I Do?
- Before you begin, leave your dates to soak for 5-10 minutes so they are extra moist.
- Remove the nut from your avocado and empty the contents into a blender.
- Pour the rest of your ingredients into a blender. A quick roll call - this includes banana, coconut oil, dates, avocado, cocoa powder, almond milk and pinch of salt.
- Blend until your mixture has transformed into a velvety smooth texture.
- Leave the mixture in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes until it is ready to serve. If you skip this step you are left with a warm mousse which, quite frankly, is just not right.
- Once you're ready to enjoy, take the blend out of the fridge and pour into two dessert bowls. *You may also pour into one bowl, we won't judge.
- Top it all off with your choice of Wheyhey Sugar Free Ice Cream. Our advice is chocolate ice cream for a triple chocolate hit.
- Add a crunch by throwing in chopped pieces of Wheyhey Chocolate Coconut Brownie.
- For an added bit of sweetness, we love to to finish it off with fresh blueberries.
- And that's it.
- One of the best gluten free desserts you will ever make. We hope you enjoy it.